View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I've never heard of "generic" meat. Please explain.

Whatever the kind of meat and especially the ground up kind needs to be cooked thoroughly and to the proper temperature. Apparently there are plenty of people who do not do this. And don't use the same utensils you used to mix or move the meat as you can contaminate it that way as well. There are people who like their hamburgers not well done. When I eat at a chain such as McDonald's or the like, not often I might add, I always ask for it to be well done. But I doubt it's made exactly that way. Culver's will always do it and it's just their practice not to have undercooked meat. Their hamburger is never frozen and there are other places as well.

I've had food poisoning from eggs that were left out too long at a Perkins restaurant. I also had a horrible food poisoning after eating at a local restaurant in a nearby town. I suspect the cook did not wash their hands. Who knows what was on the cook's hands. Something really AWFUL though. I had an omelet and didn't eat much of it. No one else in our party ate that. I started to shiver and shake and by the time we got home (20 miles) away I could not make it up the three steps into the house. I was so weak. Finally with the help of my husband I did. Then all h**l broke lose. I started vomiting and had diarrhea. Thank goodness for dining room chairs with rollers on them as my husband pushed me into the bathroom. I was soooooooo weak it was unbelievable. Finally got to bed and slept for 2 1/2 hours. Then I seemed fine except for being so thirsty I drank anything and everything. I was dehydrated. I kept drinking lots of whatever for almost a week and then was back to normal - whatever that is.

Anyway, I purchase ground hamburger from our store in town, make patties and wash my hands. I cook it thoroughly. Never a problem. I always cook any meat including chicken, turkey and the like thoroughly.

And yes, even if you grind your own meat you have to keep everything spic and span. I'm not afraid to eat hamburger out at other places but I always have it well done. No problems and hopefully I will never have another episode like I had. It's all pretty much common sense and wash your hands after handling raw meat.

I do not purchase frozen hamburger patties but if they are cooked properly I doubt that you will have a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote