View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

What I mean by "generic" is that the patties are processed elsewhere in mass quantities.

Most grocery stores have a butcher in the back who will receive the meat, still intact on the cow carcass, and then will cut off
daily what needs to be put out for customers. The main part remains in the freezer, and untouched. I believe there are health laws regarding cleaning equipment daily.

There are some "brand names" now with meat. Black Angus,
This is a list of some of the brands:
http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Ec...f/Brand_Names/

Of course, this does not protect anyone much IMO... but at least it is psychologically somewhat comforting compared to the
frozen patties in a Costco freezer...which don't even look edible IMO.

The contamination of meat today is a huge problem. Bigger than ever. Some critics say it results from processing too much meat at a time-- in a hurry. Also the heavy antibiotic use by farmers creates super bugs that are antibiotic resistant. This is why butchering as you go which most stores do, is a bit safer. But I no longer cook burgers or ground meat of any type in this house.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote