Thread: Any Useful Tips
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatz25 View Post
Hello all. Looking for any advice from anyone that has gone through what Im preparring to under go on Jan 11th, 2013. I will be getting a decompression lumbar laminectomy with Spinal Fusion L4-Sacrum. Will be having the screws put in with a rod . Is there any advice that will allow this procedure to go easier or be less painful? The doc is planning on using bone harvested from a bone bank so I wont have to under go that pain. Any ideas on speeding up recovery time. I have a 10 month old daughter and her bithday is roughly 3 weeks after the procedure. Im only 33 years old and normally recover well. What kind of shape can I hope to be in 3 weeks post op? Just looking for info. Any is helpful. Thanks.
Google spinal surgery post op instructions. Your surgeon will also give you instructions. You will be uncomfortable for quite a while as a laminectomy is pretty rugged. Glad to hear you are using donor bone. I am guessing you are concerned about your daughter's first birthday party. Plan it out in advance, before the surgery and designate the work. You won't be in any shape to throw this special party. Make the plans in advance, get commitments from others to perform various functions and then attend the party like a guest. You will still be dealing with pain and feel generally "wiped out" at three weeks post op.

In general, cook and freeze in advance. Hopefully some friends and neighbors will bring in food. Somebody elses's cooking will taste great. Line up help with housework. Don't go stripping and changing beds for heaven's sake. No mopping or vacuuming. No bending and lifting for quite a while so put and keep needed kitchen items on the counter so you don't bend. No bending and using a dishwasher. You will need help with showering initially. I always put a folding table next to my bed and kept baskets on it for meds, reading materials, hygiene materials and lotions. fresh sleepware, snacks etc. I alway tied my remotes and cell phone to the bedpost. They have a way of falling. When this happens, you just pull them up by the string rather than using a grabber. Get you hair cut and do any needed color just before the surgery. Best wishes.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote