Thread: Been on a diet
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Doydie,

Believe it or not, this situation is actually a cause for celebration . Recognizing that from this sort of experience we can gain increased awareness, rather than just chastising one's self for having done something 'wrong' is far more beneficial.

Now you know more about how triggers work and from there some strategies on how to avoid them in the future can come forward.
Although potatoes don't freeze well, in most cases, left overs can be promptly repackaged and frozen, which makes impulsive consumption less likely. Similarly if the left overs have been dedicated to another, letting them know straight away that the food has been set aside for them also it makes it less likely to become our next meal.

We are always going to be faced with overcoming habits when we begin something new; including dietary programs. Remaining aware with open curiosity of what we are doing and the thoughts that arise before, while doing them as well as after, rather than over analyzing or imputing a right or wrong about our actions in cases like this, encourages those observations to come forward as reminders when subsequent 'temptations' arise.

If we remain aware in this way, when such temptations arise again, another thought is likely to arise right along with it that says something like, "Oh, this desire is as temporary as the gratification that will come if I follow it; but long lasting contentment and gratification is just as possible if I don't follow it."
Then even if we do go for the short term gratification, at least we know that we chose to do that. In time, by remaining aware, we may also come to realize that going after short term gratification is like drinking salt water; the more we consume it, the more our thirst increases.

Such awareness acts to decrease attractions to short term gratification in favour of long term benefit. Thus, even when we transgress our intentions to follow a particular pattern of new behaviour, it can be seen as a positive thing; for we can say, "I've learned something new about myself and how the mind works; and that is strength rather than weakness."

Doydie, I celebrate your courage in self honesty, awareness and the dedication to improve your health .

With love, Erika
Erika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
doydie (12-04-2012), SallyC (12-04-2012)