View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
Welcome to Neuro Talk. Glad you found this site. There are lots of compassionate people here. You have some unusual symptoms, over a long period of time. If it were me, and I got that kind of response from doctors, I think I would get all my records and go to Mayo Clinic. Just my own view point. They are good at diagostics. Not everybody is happy with that clinic, but I was, when I went in the 80's. I am not sure I would be satisfied with what had been told considering the symptoms you have had. I hope that someone can DX you. I just can't believe all that is phyciatric in nature. Ususaly a person doens't have spasms while under anesthetic either. Keep posting your question. I hope more people will read it, and have some idea of what is going on. I do wish you all the best. ginnie

Thank you so very much to everyone so far who said hello, welcomed me, and for the advice (above). Ginnie, thank you, yes, mayo clinic is a good idea. i have avoided thus far becuase of 1) urgency and 2) money. If the urgency is great enough, the second--while still an issue--will get figured out (debt).

Last night I went to E.R. for first time since 3 years ago b/c had been coughing and my cheeks turned blue. this is first time has happened w/o gym, 3rd time in general. i called doc on call at my doctors office, he said go in to ER.

Once at ER, they got me back to a room, my BP was pretty normal (don't remember #), my pulse a bit high 115 - 119 range, and put me in a gown. gave me cough suppressant that looked like a little brown pearl (standard), and then told me sounded like "exercise enduced asthma." so coughing = exercise asthma. then gave me 8 minute lidocaine vapor.

i had some reservations about that, as i've never had it and intern described it to me as "numbing" and i expressed that my swallowing *already* feels a little numb and airway constricted so it that good idea? he said it's fine. i tried it. they closed door and left me alone in isolated 0-pressure room for 8 minutes with this stuff. about 2 mins in, i started feeling saliva all pooled up and starting to need to "swallow." i tried and it was SLOW and strange and PAINFUL, like swallowing a bubble of air? and only on left side? and felt like might not open back up? terrible.

so reminded myself it would be okay, kept inhaling and when would pool too much, spit into kleenex. eventually had to make myself swallow again and same thing.

when he came back, i told him it something wasn't right. he dismissed me. then resident dr. came in and told me "we don't have that problem with that medicine" ????? i went ballistic in my mind. WE aren't the ones being treated! I am being treated and I WAS/AM having that problem! he left the room, a nurse brought a benadryl, i managed to get it down (painfully, same thing, and with some left over water in my lungs), and she left the room. I was so weak i felt like a truck hit me. had to go to the bathroom for 8th time since there and could barely make it.

Eventually felt better. chest had opened up a bit from med but it had made all other symptoms worse, and bad throat. when leaving, i spoke to attending. a light bulb went off when i told her that my airway had been dilated 3 years ago and maybe it needed it again because airway felt small and she dx with "esophogeal spasm." i didn't argue, but i'm telling you all, that's not what it was. it was esophogeal functional dysmotility (which i've already been dx with, too) and i was nearly unable to get my numbed throat to swallow. llarynx, pharnyx, whatever. i went home. am laying on couch, propped up with pillow. swallowing back to "normal." aspirating a little saliva into lungs when coughed last night but feel stronger today.

don't ever go to a "teaching" hospital. endo appt been waiting for 3 mos. neuro appt been waiting longer. attending told me to make endo appt. gee, thanks.
SmallTownGirl43 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (12-04-2012)