View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face Noise sickens me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk PCS Accountant View Post
Hi all,

So last weekend I went to 1 hour of a party and there was a live band. I took my earplugs and left after 1 hour even though I felt ok, but since then my symptoms have come back in full force and I feel like I've stepped back 5 months. It's the worst time it could happen as I am really busy at work and it's hard to get out of things in the next few weeks.

Is it the noise that did it? Will this be a permanent thing?
Hi there; yes, no, yes.

I too have a huge problem with noise. It does not appear to be just loud sound, but is competing auditory stimuli. Ex: going to a shopping mall. No way. Have tried it twice.

Between the loud aggravating music which I think is to rev people up to shop until they drop, separate music playing in shops and all the talking, it is way an overload.

I avoid them now.

I went to a family gathering for our Thanksgiving feast. Hard surfaces, 20 people. 8 conversations. Forgot my emergency kit which has my earplugs. I had to go to a separate quiet room - I was waiting for the dessert course. I had a splitting headache.

I gobbled up Tylenol and waited. My boyfriend came in and kept me company.

I felt sick, tired, weak and dizzy for the next 3 days. I didn't want to do anything. And this is post concussion by 9 months plus.

At the end of July I went to a baseball game in San Francisco. I was armed with my emergency kit which has earplugs. I had to put them in almost immediately.

I could enjoy the game (although the Giants did badly - I'm glad they pulled it out to win the World Series later. )

What I didn't count on was the problem with too much visual stimulation. Also, the cement was painted bright red on the walkways where I had my seats. Weird. I found the great swath of red flooring absolutely assaultive on my visual cortex.

I coped with wearing sunglasses and trying to look up and away as much as possible.

My problem with auditory stim is getting better. Still really hard for me to be in church. I can watch movies ok but nothing which generates fear or anxiety.

My ear plugs are girlie ones bright pink. I don't know the brand, got them at Walmart cheaply a few years ago for airplane travel.

I can send you some if you email me privately. They are the spongy kind you roll in your fingers and insert.

Have you tried any noise protection earmuffs that laborers use when working around loud noise? That might work. And because they look out of the ordinary at work it might help to remind coworkers about your situation and health concerns.

Take care.

Suffered a patient attack on Valentine's Day 2012; kicked in the head resulting in severe concussion. 50+ professional woman on leave from psych hospital job. Recovering from dizziness, nausea, sequential processing deficits, headaches, sprained neck, memory loss, mood fluctuation, fatigue, and general malaise. Treatments: MD, Neuro MD, Physical therapy, psychotherapy, medication.

"Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing to it;
I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security." Jer, 33:6
Laura G is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Uk PCS Accountant (12-05-2012)