Thread: Any Useful Tips
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Good Grief, Yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretd View Post
Good luck with surgery, I went thru a triple spinal fusion. It maybe a very long recovery time, you are younger than I was so that may help. Stay in the hospital as long as you need to. I could have stayed one more day but I just wanted to go home, it was a bad idea. The ladys have alot of good ideas, have everything you need at your bed side, books, magizines. try and find someone who can help you out for the first week or two, make you somthing to eat, get you some water or whatever else you need. Take the pain meds just as they are perscribed, even if you think you don't need them, if you you wait to long to take them it will be to late. And call your doc asap if they don't seem to help. In the hospital they have a sheet under you to help role you over, make sure you do that in your bed so some one can role you over. I would really try to post pone the birthday party, I know its hard but I really don't think you will be ready for that. Get up and walk as much as you can or as much as the doc say's too. It will be hard and you may not want to, but it will pay off in the end. Don't rush things it takes along time to heal. I wish you only the best of luck. If you have a lap top keep us updated. Also get a laxative, trust me with all the pain meds you will need it.
Laxative and stool softner. Take a stool softner at night with a glass of hot herbal tea or water, whether you think you need it or not. You do. You must keep that stool not only moving but relatively soft so you don't strain on the pot. Straining will aggravate the back and increase the pain levels. You might be able to get by with just a stool softner but I am guessing that you will need to bump it with a laxative several time a week. That will become a lesser problem as you are able to decrease the pain meds and also do some walking. The walking helps to keep everything moving. While a high natural fiber diet is great, make certain that you are chasing it with lots of water or it may set up like cement blocks. This is going to be trial and error. What one person requires may send another hobbling to the pot every hour.

Another thought here. If you have good ins. the fact that you had a lammie may qualify you for some time in a physical rehab hospital. I know you will want to get home to that baby but if you can get some in patient rehab, it will very beneficial. The physical therapy will be set up to increase your strength and safe movement. The occupational therapy will work on giving you new skills for functioning within the home setting. They will also keep you comfortable. Tell your head floor nurse that you want to speak to a patient advocate about being evaluated for in patient rehab and in home services. Chances are the surgeon will never discuss those options.............after all, he fixed you.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote