View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I have tried all the different ear plugs. The Etymotic research plugs only block about 15 dB's of sound. The pink bell or cone shaped plugs are commonly given out by airlines. They will block about 20dB's. The yellow cylinder foam plugs will block 29 to 30 dB's. Twist them tight and insert them deep so you can barely grab them to take them out.

I always have them near. I can engage in a conversation with them easily. I use just one for my wife's snoring. You can wash them by putting them in the bottom of a bath sink/lavatory and running hot water for a few minutes. You can also leave them in a pocket and put them through the laundry. Clean foam plugs work better.

When out at a social function, it will help to stay out of the middle of the room. The intensity and echoes will be less off in a corner. If you ever notice a quick change in what you hear, run for the door. This is your brain reaching a fight or flight level of over-stimulation. The next few minutes may become over-overwhelmingly difficult with a long recovery.

It took me a while to learn all of the signs and triggers.

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Laura G (12-10-2012), Uk PCS Accountant (12-05-2012)