View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacrusis View Post
As well as measuring distance of focus, counting steps, raising arms out sideways, previous swimming exercises with ladies many years my senior, (as some of you already know) I´ve been using my handwriting to record myasthenic weakness/strength just for my own records.

When in 2010 I complained to my doctor that I could no longer tie a shoe lace, thread a needle, open a packet of chips, peel, squeeze my own toothpaste, write my own signature to the end of it, – he did not ask me for a sample of my handwriting. Had he asked for one, it would have looked something like sample 1.

Sample 2 is from 6 months ago and I remember feeling an overwhelming sense of weakness after 4 lines.

But sample 3 from a few days ago, is what surprised me the most. It is closely reflective of how I feel today and gives me a good visual benchmark for future reference.

Do you have ways you use to measure your own myasthenic weakness?

Now that you mention it - Anacrusis, at times - my handwriting (too) is greatly affected by Some Type of Weakness.

This is confusing to me, MG medical articles typically state that MG affects proximal muscles (muscles closer to the body). True to form, my eyes, neck, mouth, throat, lungs, upper arm muscles, hip, lower back and upper leg muscles have all been affected at one time or another with MG muscle weakness.

In my little non-medically trained mind, I think of hand muscles as being distal muscles, which from what I have read, are typically not affected by MG. But overuse of hands and lower arms (for me) causes problems also. I can start out writing holiday cards with a flowy, very attractive "script" and after a couple of cards the writing deteriotates into a miserable scribble. Sometimes a pint of milk is too heavy to hold in my hand. And "things" just slip through my hands. Can't hold books to read - I need to prop them. Hmmm.......are the hands weak because of weak shoulders and upper arms that are needed to support them? Hmmmm.........

I have two one pound weights which I have recently decided to start exercising my upper arms with. (Muscles have atophied greatly). This exercise will also work on my weak hand muscles. Think I will chart progress (number of repetitions) on an excel spreadsheet - which could of course, show occasional "slips" or "flat lines" depending on if it is a "good MG day" or a "challenging MG day". Hopefully, the "big picture" will show an improvement. Of course, I know I will need to "pace" myself during this new adventure. Meaning: STOP and rest when the muscles start to falter. (Instead of continuing to PUSH ON as I would have done in my previous more athletic days). The "can do" attitude of "pushing on" and not listening to my weakening body is what helped crush me into my first crisis (along with a reduction in prednisone).

Your idea is a grand one! Thanks for the inspiration.

Anacrusis
Did you notice any other factors in your life when you were measuring your handwriting? Less Stress? Illness - other than MG? Better weather? Kids or no kids around? I know my hand writing is complete doggy doo doo when I am very tired. And the doggy isn't even cute.

SoftTalkerSue
SoftTalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (12-06-2012)