View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I saw my neuro yesterday and kinda got nicely put in my place. I was diagnosed about the same time as you and I do feel lucky right now because my treatments are working and he is pleased with my progress. He asked me yesterday how I was feeling and I responded I have improved but I am discouraged because after my first appointment with you I walked out thinking after plasmapheresis and a few weeks of drug therapy I would be back to normal. He went on to tell me then how sick I was and how lucky I was to be making progress and to expect at least a year before I may find normal. He also told me he was surprised I never landed in the hospital because I was that bad when he first saw me.

I went in to this as you know with an attitude that I would not let this get the best of me. I have learned MG fights back when you fight it. I still won't let it win but I guess I have come to terms with somedays will be better than others. What I did yesterday is not a reflection of what I can do today. I also learned my goals and plans for next month or next spring may have to be flexible but it does not mean I can't have goals and plans.

It goes back to the question of what is normal? Is normal functioning at a level where you can do day to day things? Or is normal getting back to where you were before this all started. My ultimate goal is the later but until then each day normal will be adjusted.

As tough as it is at times a positive mind frame can help. At the same time you can't view it with blinders on and ignore that we have MG or that positive attitude can bite you in the rear and turn quickly to depression when something fails. I learned that the hard way when I realized some of my goals were not in my hands.

I am lucky and sometime I feel guilt when I post about my progress here. But I do believe if I had not stumbled about this group that mentally I would not have adjusted to the challenges ahead.

Keep your chin up Les. Adjust as you go and know we are all in this together.
rogerm213 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jana (12-06-2012), Lesmom96 (12-05-2012)