View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Anacrusis, It sounds like you're trying to find just the right algorithm of "tests" to show weakness so that you can control MG. I hope you know that I'm not putting you down for that. You might spend all of your time measuring instead of living!

MG can affect any of the 640 skeletal muscles, including the hands. Alice is right about how many muscles work together for one simple task. Just bending over to pick something up can really tank my legs. My diagnosing neuro did that test - that no other doctor did - and I was surprised at how quickly my legs got weak. When you bend over, your legs are supporting the rest of your body.

Sitting and talking, for example, can tank both my breathing and bulbar muscles very quickly. And forget about holding a phone. I usually have to put people on speaker in order to talk. That takes both proximal and distal muscles. And right after I was in the hospital for my MG crisis, my hands would contort from being so weak just holding an object for a short period of time.

Other tests are sipping water, looking sideways to see how quickly you get ptosis shifting from one eye to another, holding arms out in front of you, etc.

I'm more concerned about you getting enough treatment to manage your symptoms. Are you still trying to find a way to "prove" you have MG?

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (12-06-2012)