Thread: My PCS Story
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My PCS Story

Hello everyone, I joined this site with the hope of learning more about Post Concussion Syndrome.

I survived a head on collision in 1972 when I was thirteen years old. I ended up with a severe concussion and was in a coma for six days. I lost both my parents in the crash.

About a year ago I learned what was meant by a severe concussion and coma. That was when I decided to gather as much information as possible about PCS and enlisted the help of my doctor. I've been referred for testing to determine the extent of the deficiencies with my brain, but those tests are still in the future.

I'll add that I was tested for sleep disorders recently. The sleep study revealed that I have Obstructive Sleep Apnia syndrome. I'm being treated for the apnia with a CPAP machine, and it appears to be working very well. I guess sleep is not so over-rated afterall, I now wake easily in the morning and don't feel exhausted by early afternoon! I mention this because I may have inherited the condition, but it is also a common symptom of post concussion sydrome. Some other symptoms I have, include short term memory issues, occular migraines and attention/concentration issues, however, that is not an extensive list.

To sum up, in the past year I've been diagnosed as having:
Post Concussion Syndrome
Obstructive Sleep Apnia Syndrome
Anxiety
Depression

I'm happy to have found this site. After 40 years of being told by professional and non-professional people, that they do not know what ails me, I'm finally getting some support.

James (Jamie)
Ontario, Canada
thedude58 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote