View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My prednisone taper has been done quite differently. I started at 60mg every day in Jan 2010 and I was seeing my neuro every three months. I don't recall the exact increments, but he started reducing the dosage on an every other day basis by 5 mg so that I was taking say 60/55 then in three months 55/50 as an example.

Then my new neuro started in Jan 2012 working to cut out taking it every day. He didn't wait for my three month appointment to make the reduction, he laid out the reduction schedule so that my husband could make the changes about every two weeks and told us to let him know if there were any changes in my symptoms in between appointments. I am now down to 10mg every other day in just 11 months.

This is why it has taken almost three years to reduce my dosage and it has been very complicated. Way too long in my opinion but I trusted my x-neuro to do what was the right way. My intent is to try to get off prednisone totally but I'm afraid that I may be forced to at least take 5mg every other day. We'll see.

Good luck on your reduction. I truly hope you don't have any return of symptoms so that you can get down to a low dosage because the unintended consequences of taking prednisone are another battle you don't want to have to fight, trust me.

Southern Bell
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote