View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
I am not worried about stainless steel - i read a report by a Dr Sharma (I think that was his name) out of India and the nickel was not released by the stainless steel. I was worried about the element in an electric kettle and replaced it with an all stainless steel one with a hidden element.

I wrapped handles with electrical tape, painters tape and masking tape. We will change most over time. I was most surprised that my "gold pens" released nickel. Hubby said - polished brass.

I do not have much of a rash except if I contact nickel but I have ear pain, crusty eyes, sinus trouble and maybe even asthma from dietary nickel. I was eating a very high nickel diet and now I know as little a 4 almonds (red skin on) will bother me for days afterwards. My fear is it will progress to a rash. I was surprised that coconut oil gave me a nickel rash and I had to switched my electric razor to nickel free because I noticed a high nickel diet was starting to make my legs itchy

I have been trying to get my Dr to refer me to a dietitian to help me replace the nutrients not in my current diet. I ate a high fiber diet until recently.

I make a lot of my own rice pudding in the slow cooker. It is less sweet then the purchased varieties. I even mix in black rice at the end - looks kind of gross but gives me some of the phyto nutrients I am missing.

This nickel thing is a pain but there a many worse things out there. At least we know what the problem is and how to go about helping ourselves.
Nickel seems to be in almost everything from margarine to soy products to anything hydrogenated along with alot of processed things. I think it will become worse than mercury or lead the way its being pumped into food and the environment. Once the threshold is crossed its almost impossible to avoid.

I was wrong about things I thought had no nickel and were ok to eat. You got me thinking about talking to a dietian because my rash is back on my foot. Not sure what caused it. Maybe ashes from a wood boiler or from 18 volt nickel tool batteries or is it soy or the chips I decided to eat? But like you said it could be worse! Sometimes we don't realize how blessed we really are. Thanks for the coconut tip I've been eating coconut popsicles-they were great. Bye
atvfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote