View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Gillian-Gillian,

I wonder if such intense therapy may be counter to your brain recovering further. That is quite a stress load.

I have many of the same problems, especially with driving.

Are they working with you to learn work-arounds or just trying to strengthen brain functions? Some of your lost functions may need work-arounds rather that being able to strengthen weak or lost functions. The biggest problem I have is the ability to rely on those functions. Driving and the kitchen are where these issues are critical.

In the kitchen, I use a timer any time I use the stove. I set it for 5 minutes and repeat it until I turn the stove off. If I walk away from the stove, I know the alarm will call me back within 5 minutes.

Driving is another issue all together. Driving needs to most skills and attention at the most dangerous time. I have had too many close calls. I know that I do worst in a comfortable car with power steering with no feedback and insulation that limits the amount of outside sounds and vibrations felt in the drivers seat. I also struggle in congested traffic, especially where I have to watch traffic from two or more directions.

I only drive when I am alone in the car. I do not want the responsibility of another life or the possibility a passenger can be a distraction. I rarely drive faster than 35 to 40 mph. If I need to drive a highway, it can not be during heavy traffic times. I have an automatic transmission SUV that I have disconnected the electronic shifting system so I have to shift it manually. It helps but I still know that I need to be on top of my game before I get behind the wheel.

The worst scenario for me is to have to live the rest of my life knowing I hurt or killed someone because of my driving skills.

My wife will ask if it is a "driving day." This is our term for whether I should be driving or using power saws or taking other risks.

I hope somebody is helping you with ideas about what you want to do versus what you can do reliably. Car pooling to a job is a consideration. You may need a quiet work station to be successful. Or, very supportive people around you. Never give up trying to reinvent yourself and your skills.

I know how tough it is. I had to curtail my driving 8 years ago. I have driven about 8000 miles since. I went for a year and a half without driving at all. I cut a finger off with a saw and realized I needed to re-evaluate how I judged my capabilities.

I wish you the best as you struggle with these critical issues.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GillianGillian (12-07-2012), postconcussion (12-07-2012)