Thread: Getting nervous
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 03:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveandTrust View Post
I can, but I trust my own research more since the physician's desk reference is really not very accurate in terms of what's safe and what's not. It just wasn't tested so it doesn't have the information. Dr. Hale has the best information since he's the only one testing anything. It would be easy for me to look up all the pain killers but I don't know what else people may have had to take (blood thinners, antibiotics, antinflamitories, muscle relaxants, anti-anxiety...) all of a sudden that leaves me with a list that is huge so I was hoping that I could get an idea about what to expect level-wise (post op morphine or percocet?) you know what I mean? Then it would make my work a little easier. It's not always easy to do all this typing!! :-)
I am 3.5 weeks post-op and had a first rib resection, scalenectomy and pec minor release/tenotomy.

I was put on a Morphine PCA pump so I could press the bolis each time I wanted extra meds. I was also given a combo of Toradol, Tramadol, Zanaflex/Tizanidine, Ibuprofen (800mg), and Zofran/Phenergan for nausea on top of the morphine drip that was spread out throughout the day. This combo really helped to manage the pain post-op while in the hospital, although I would still say the pain was between a 5-8 most of the time. On day 3 I was given colace to take daily along with magnesium for constipation. I did have to use Miralax a few times around day 7-9 post-op for constipation as well. Once I started coming off the meds, the constipation was better. I hope this list helps you.

I am currently taking Tramadol for breakthrough pain, and take the tizanidine/zanaflex (muscle relaxor) along with prescription strength ibuprofen (800mg) as needed. It usually amounts to 1-2 of the muscle relaxers and 1-2 of the ibuprofen daily. I've taken the Tramadol only 1 time a day the last week, with some days none at all. I also have compound pain cream that I used for the arm and scapular pain. I got this from my pain management doctor that uses a specialty pharmacy.

I hope this list will help you get started. P.S. I tend to get really nauseous with Vicodin, hydrocodone, percocet, etc. so I specifically chose to not use any of those.
Thankful for Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote