View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The trouble with celebrating Christmas is that we have traditions from before I got sick. Kids are very wed to traditions! There's tremendous pressure to do what we've "always" done in the past. But here are my helpful hints.

Number one: I do all my Christmas shopping online, which is a no-brainer, but oh, what a boon not to have to go to a big department store or a mall! Also, don't go to the post office. Order flat-rate shipping supplies from the USPS online, and print out labels and have your mail carrier pick up packages.

Numbers two, three and four: delegate, delegate, and delegate. This requires a bit of letting go, because if you hand over some tradition, the person who takes over isn't going to do it like you did. Steel yourself. It's really OK.

Number five: budget your energy fiercely by skipping the things you don't care about, but are tempted to do out of social pressure. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's false to say you "can't" go, because after all, you could, if you gave up doing the things you actually do care about. Nope. If it takes away the energy you need for the things you care about, then "can't" is an accurate word.

Those are my ideas. I always overdo it a bit anyway, and recover in January.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (12-08-2012), pingpongman (12-08-2012), Quandry (12-08-2012)