View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 04:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Mrs. D I've taken a look but am not so much interested in the science as I am in getting some relief.

(BTW re your Galileo quote and the photo: it took me quite awhile to figure out that the "negative spaces" were in fact 2 cats! lol I had assumed given your scientific bent firstoff that the pic was some sort of cell cultures. then I Read the caption... and found myself trying to construe a couple of dogs swathed in xmas lights, or what, until suddenly the correct interpretation of the visuals - that the "negative spaces" of the image were actually 2 cats - snapped into place in my brain as happens.)

Anyway to proceed with both replies to responses (thank you very much):

I gave up Elavil cause it ceased to have a progressively helpful effect and I was satisfied with things as they were, able to live with what discomfort remained, didn't think taking more Elavil would help matters any further. When I asked for it recently at this detox facility I was told, "it's a bad drug. heart. bad drug." so maybe it's not the best idea to be on it really long term? I don't know...

I began taking opiates for other pain problems (back and burgeoning rotator cuff situation. I'm planning on surgery for the latter which is the principle problem) and let's face it - because I loved the little buggers, and so got "carried away" as many people do, and certainly ... the resurgence of the neuropathic pain had more than a little to do with the ever increasing frequency of ever larger doses, to the point of absurdity and most definitely chemical dependency.

So now, Mrs. D, you've explained the background, but will Elavil help me at this point? Eek. Maybe I shouldn't ask! I definitely want to try. I'm giving the Cymbalta a try cause I've got it here and won't be able to get switched to Elavil for several days anyway, I anticipate. I'll give it at least 5 days but I think it doesn't agree with me. In fact... my situation is a bit confused. I'm still in this 2 week post subutex detox period. I was on subutex for only 2 weeks on doses beginning at 2 mg (generic) increasing to 4/day. At that point I became concerned and did some research and learned how dangerous the stuff is and so...soon returned to the detox facility I went to to get off oxycontin and told them: I want off subutex now. (They didn't appreciate my preaching against the long term use of suboxone and subutex to the other patients, but I was on a mission for others as well as for myself.) So I am still very weak then I went and caught the worst cold I have had in many years. The cold is almost gone. I'm a mess. But I'm sure time will cure most of what's going on, maybe the neuropathy too, considering the baseline? I mean will those glial cells ... go away?

Certainly the neuropathy, one way or another, seems to be ... subs?iding a bit... in fact it's at this threshold at which it's ... just barely intolerable, but at least it doesn't keep me awake at night anymore. Perhaps the situation with the brain modification will .... come into balance again on its own in the absence of opiates, or will they just stay there?

Also, wonder what you think of this thread and its relation to the glial phenomenon:

[oh turns out I am too much of a newbie to post links it had to do with something called DXM which I think might be related to (eek) ketamine as a kind of "miracle drug" for opiate abuse fallout.]
supermarky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote