View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellerMomof3 View Post
So I had a appt. yesterday with Dr. Robert Thompson in St. Louis, MO. Just sitting in his waiting room with other patients was a wonderful experience. First time besides on here that I have felt like someone else was experiencing the same things as me. So after a long and indepth meeting with Dr. Thompson and his associates, he came to the conclusion that I do indeed have NTOS. Finally, an answer. So from here the options were either try Physical Therapy again, or schedule surgery. I have already gone thru 4 months of physical therapy but wanted to meet with the physical therapist in St. Louis to see if they had any other opinions or suggestions.

After meeting with the physical therapist we found that there are several muscles of the shoulder that are not working properly due to the TOS. We concluded that surgery would be the next step.

So we have scheduled a scalenectomy, first rib resection, and pec minor release for January. So if anybody has any advice regarding recovery, things to think about before surgery, experience at Barnes Jewish Hospital or anything, all would be greatly appreciated.

I also am very worried about being a mom of 3 children, age 7, 5, 3. Not sure how long I will be unable to do my duties at home as well as work. Very thankful that I have a husband that is willing to help out, but not sure how long his work will allow him to be away.
I just had the same surgeries done on Nov 29. Since I am only 8 days post op I can only tell you what has helped me this first week. besides a husband straight from heaven.....have lots of pillows to prop your arm and head in an easy recliner. You're not going to want to lay flat for the first week. also lifting your head when reclined is difficult. I still have to use my good arm/hand to lift my head off of the chair sometimes. make sure you have a table or tray within reach to hold meds ,water, tissues, tv mote,phone, etc. be sure you have some button up shirts and jammies! You are not going to want to lift your arms and squeeze into t-shirts. I bought myself several frozen dinners for those nights when my husband just needed a break and didn't feel like cooking. your husband will need to find something to occupy his mind also the first few days as you will be tired and not up and around. My husband would put my advil on the table (out of the bottle)before I went to sleep so I could easily grab them in the middle of the night and not have to struggle to get them. I was only on morphine the first day of surgery. no pain killers other than 6 advil a day since due to nausea and migraines so it has been very painful for me. be sure to discuss all side affects with any pain meds you will be taking. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery!
tsquaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote