View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Physical therapy?

I have heard physical therapy doesn't help venous TOS, though it might help with the neurogenic symptoms. Is this true? One surgeon told me it's all one disease anyway, but yet people keep saying there are different compression sites and therefore treatments must be different. I took physical therapy briefly for my TOS, but mine is venous. Couldn't tell if it was helping. I did seem to get a lot of muscle spasms while in physical therapy and now I don't have those spasms so I don't know if I want to go back to physical therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengggmd View Post
I have neurogenic type of tos and has been living with it since early 20s. I first felt the pain and the subsequent numbness and tingling in my left arm after a minor car accident. I thought at first it was just minor bruising and soreness related to the accident. As time went on these symptoms only worsened. I was seen over the period of few months by neurologist, orth, and neurosurgeons. All tests including MRI and EMGs were negative. I was told that all these may be in my head.

With much frustration and anger. I researched extensively on the topic. I think the most important thing for me is to resist the use of narcotics for pain control. Physical therapy and relaxation therapy helped me greatly, I also took on yoga for a few years that helped me to maintain good posture and strengthen my shoulder girdle. I am currently doing very well with minimal symptoms. only time I get some level of symptoms is when I spent all day in the operating room. As a vascular surgeon that treats TOS. I believe the field is full of controversies and may be even fraud, even amongst vascular surgeons.

I believe that the best way to approach treatment is through a multispecialized approach. As a surgeon I make money doing TOS surgery ( which everyone has to keep that in mind, that there is secondary gains there for the surgeons) but as a patient that is essentially cured by physical therapy I believe that physical therapy is perhaps the most important part of the equation. I would be very happy to answer any questions you all may have. hopefully, i can provide you all with some level of comfort and reassurance.
starfish43 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote