View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question 28 yo male, need opinions

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on a site like this (although I have been an avid site stalker). I really wanted to reach out and get some folks opinions as to what could be going on with me.

I am a 28 year old (recently married) male of average weight. I have no pertinent medical history (except for ADHD since the age of 5). Starting in the Fall-Winter of 2010 my health started to deteriorate. It started with a rash and minor tingling in my left hand – At the time I failed to mention the tingling because it was so minor, and the rash was ultimately diagnosed as Pityriasis Rosea. The catch is the rash went away in a few days, which pretty much eliminates that diagnosis.

Over a period of several months, multiple neurologists, a bazillion tests the PN extended to my left foot, right hand, and left hand – I have never had right foot involvement. The PN was strictly a minor tingling sensation – annoying. I do think some fatigue and brain fog accompanied it. After seeing some good doctors, we determined my B12 was low normal, and my D was CRAZY low. We ‘ruled out’ celiac via blood test and endoscopy. My neurologist recommended I start taking 600 mg of alpha lipoic acid, which in conjunction with a gluten free diet started to rapidly make me feel better.

My wife indicated that I started to have a minor resurgence of PN about a year ago in the Fall-Winter time, and went gluten free and alpha lipoic crazy again (totally forgot about this). And now here we are Fall-Winter time in 2012. The symptoms have changed and it is causing me to go to get re-worked-up. I have had the same tingling on the hands and feet, but occasionally I have had some roaming burning across my chest and the top of my arms. Last night I had an ‘almost’ vertigo like experience, and couldn’t fall asleep until 4 AM. I have also noticed my hands and feet are always colder than everyone elses.

My question is, with all of the major things ruled out, and hopefully remaining ruled out. What could be causing this over such a long period of time, and causing it to resurface around the same time each year? Is it possible that gluten is the culprit? Even with the negative blood draws and biopsy’s? Staying gluten free is a huge challenge financially and from a time perspective.

Is there a risk that this is a more insidious illness even though things like MS were initially ruled out via MRI of head and c-spine?

I just married a wonderful woman, but she has had a tough life and has always taken care of everyone. I am a talented technology worker, I make great money, and I am really scared that I am going to put her in a situation where she is taking care of just another person.
Thecus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote