View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused The Chase

I betray my ignorance here, but do so in a quest for knowledge, so here it goes:

I would really like to know how do they define voluntary rate, which is how they then determine your forced rate (i.e., 35% greater than voluntary rate). The announcement said all would initially be set at identical aerobic intensities, so where is the voluntary component? I am probably just misunderstanding aerobic intensity but again, if it is the same for all of you, what is voluntary?

What is the metric being used to quantify the 35% increase--is it rpm?

And also, why do they automatically assume you can't force yourself to do the extra 35% and only apply mechanical forcing to those who can't push themselves to the extent required. Is the 35% the key (and if so, why don't they give you a chance to do the 35% on your own) or is it that people are being forced--almost like an animal that is being chased. Are they trying to determine if there is some primitive psychodynamic that is changing the brain activity (evoked by a sensation of being chased) or if it is muscle power and physical exertion alone that is changing the brain activity? Is it important to the study that you feel like a mustang with a puma on your tail (I have actually seen such a thing and it is stunning the level of horror involved for me as an observer, much less the horse that is being chased--BTW, the horse won!).

All I know is I've now been doing the stationery bike for about 3 mos. and have finally worked up to 80 rpm for 40 minutes as Nan suggests--but for only 3 days a week at this point. Goal is every other day, or 4 days a week. But whatever the case, I think the tremor is a little bit better but overall strength and well being and mood are noticeably improved. I'm thinking, based on my experience, this may be good for you whether you are tremor dominant like me or rigid.

But the bottom line question for me is why does a machine have to force you, why don't they let the ones who can, force themselves to get that 35%. Do you have to feel chased?
Arsippe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote