View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Sally brings up a point...but not the one she intended, I bet.

When we put Oreo to sleep 3 days before our trip upNorth, we didn't expect Weezie to be very affected. Oreo was a loner, and only interacted with Weez now and then. Oreo did however "protect" Weez outside--and I witnessed that myself.
But Weez had the indoor domain, and Oreo the outside for the most part.

Well 3 days into our vacation, Weez became very ill. Coughing, sneezing running eye, high fever, and finally a light coma (she stopped eating). The Vet up there thought she had feline herpes at first, but then days later, a bite appeared on her left back neck.
We took her back to him, and he explained to me how cats grieve, and react to stress. (he has cats of his own).

He said Tippy's sudden illness could have been a stress/grief reaction to Sheba's passing. And Weezie seemed to have 2 things going on that the coughing, etc didn't reflect on a bite.
So he wouldn't allow us to adopt Maya, yet. We had to wait 3 weeks before we could.

So the loss of Ghandi, may shake up your feline household somewhat, Ann. It may be subtle, and not necessarily what you would think even. I couldn't imagine Weezie missing Oreo (who seemed to dominate her). But she seemed to react to Oreo's loss in her own way. When hubby came home with Oreo in her funeral box the vet provided....he put it on the picnic table out back, where Oreo used to sleep. Immediately Weezie was there standing vigil over it. So when he finished the burial hole, in our wildflower garden area, he came in and we decided Weezie should come in and not watch that part. Who knows what she could be thinking about THAT!

Dr. Groover upNorth, therefore provided us with more insight into cat physiology than I understood from before. He explained to me that any STRESS (perceived by the cat's point of view), can lead to illness or erratic behavior. In our case, Oreo died, right before a long car trip (2nd stressor), and Oreo was not upNorth to protect/dominate Weezie, and she sensed that and became ill. Her bite from the mystery animal, may not have turned into such a mess as it did therefore. Cats get into a "routine" type behavior pattern, and a severe change of this they perceive as highly stressful. So just the absence of your Ghandi, may provoke some other "thing" in the near future. Just be prepared for that. Feline herpes is very common and latent in cats, and will come out like human herpes viruses. Running eyes, sneezing and coughing are signs. Treatment involves the amino acid L-lysine and there are Vet products now that have this in them. If not treated properly it can lead to loss of eyeball, pneumonia or worse. Dr. Groover says, he thinks just about all the cats in the Eastern UP of Michigan have herpes and get it from their mothers. (Do not therefore, allow treatment with steroids if you suspect feline herpes--doctors give cats steroids often to help with pain. But in this case it will flare the herpes, and lead to
an awful outcome!). There is a new drug out for trauma and emergency pain in cats...it is called Onsior. Maya got this with her spay.
Dr. Groover gave Weezie Rimadyl by injection..the dog NSAID. The new Onsior is a feline safe NSAID for emergency pain/fever, and I guess was not out yet, last Aug when we needed it. Maya only needed one pill and I never used the other two. It is a 24hr acting medication and very new still...I didn't trust it 100%.
You can look this up on Google further. I really didn't know about feline herpes until just recently myself. Not all vets know about this, so it is up to you to watch for signs, etc.

Hopefully, your other kitties will adjust. It is just we had two deaths, and two emergencies that followed and that had never happened to us before.

Sorry, this got longer than I thought it would be. But I think the information we learned this summer, would be very helpful to other feline households here.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (12-09-2012), SallyC (12-09-2012)