View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Arrow Newly diagnosed complex partial seizures

Hi all I have been having what I was convinced for many years seizures which were not picked upon previous EEG's. On Thursday my EEG finally picked up abnormal brain activity and I've been diagnosed with Complex partial seizures. These mainly occur at night and have probably caused my chronic insomnia as I have more than one at night. I wake up with a body tremor then black out for a few seconds (I think) and on waking I can't move, my body is exploding in goosebumps and when I open my eyes there are faces/shapes/swirls of color jumping all around me. I was told this is an hallucination. After a minute or so I am able to wake up and move enough to walk but am disorientated, weak, shaking, my heart is racing and feel nauseous, my stomach and bladder go into over drive for a few hours after. I then experience extreme tiredness. During the day and most evenings I experience auras, I generally smell burning or really bad smells, have weird patches of goosebumps running up and down various parts of my body and I either get extremely agitated and or so tired I could fall asleep on the spot! I sometimes experience hearing and visual problems and have strange tastes in my mouth. The worst part is at times when I experience these auras my hands literally jerk what ever I am holding in them and in the past two weeks I have broken so much glass, I just drop things all the time. I have been under allot of stress over the past few weeks and wonder if this has contributed to the frequency of the seizures? I am seeing my neurologist tomorrow with my EEG results to see where to proceed from here. I have super ventricular tachicardia and am wondering if there's anyone out there who has this and how they tolerate anti epilepsy drugs? I take Vasomil for the tachycardia and did not tolerate Carbamizepine at all. I tolerated Topamax well a few years back for migraines but my heart problem was not as severe as it is now. I also have slightly low thyroid levels and my thyroid profile showed that it has been attacked by a virus? I have goiters and nodules on my thyroid. Can this been contributing to the increase in seizures? I am certain I will be sent for a CAT scan this week as I can't have an MRI because I have titanium in my spine from a disk surgery. Are the CAT scans as accurate in picking up leisions, tumors etc on the brain? I am tempted not to take medication because I am concerned about the side effects and at the same time my seizures are getting more frequent and I'd love to have a better quality of life. As it is I live in so much pain from my neck and back from bulging disks etc. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much
blondie90210 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote