View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Recent concussion

I am a 54 year old female and mid October (2 months ago) I fell backwards off our 5' high truck and hit my head on a solid bar on a metal corn elevator. I was dazed but got right up and after checking all my parts, finished cutting the firewood up. I felt my head swelling so after about an hour, got some ice on it. A few hours later, my son insisted that I go to the ER. By that time the swelling was about the size of a baseball and I felt a lot of internal pressure. At the ER, they checked my cognitive ability and were ready to send me home when I questioned if they should do a CT scan to see if there was head injury. They agreed, read the test and said that all was okay. They gave me a couple pain pills and that was that. Nothing at all was mentioned about a concussion in the ER and no instructions as to what to do. The next day was Monday and I went to work. I got an appointment with my chiropractor and that's when I first heard the word concussion. She has been treating me every couple of weeks and suggesting nutritional supplements.

I am normally an upbeat, positive person with a lot of energy and motivation. Lately, I am feeling depressed (that has never been a word in my vocabulary before) and exhausted. Making myself get something done now takes effort and many evenings, I sit the whole time and read or watch TV.

At work, I am feeling overwhelmed and frustrated, making mistakes and forgetting to do things. I am the lone secretary in a busy church with things going on all day. I used to be able to ignore the distractions and keep working but lately, they keep me from concentrating. I am also a caregiver 5 nights a week for an elderly Alzheimer's gentleman. I am only there to be available for when he gets up in the night and so I can sleep while there. I often have a small headache, not even enough to take a pain pill, just enough to be annoying.

So, my question is, are all the symptoms described relating to the head injury? Is there something I should do to help myself get over it? I am a natural healing fanatic and do very little "doctor medicine" if I can avoid it. Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Zinnia326 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote