View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Your doctor should have told you that surgery is ONLY for mechanical problems. It does NOT solve pain problems. Many times after surgery your pain is the same or worse. So you can't expect to be pain free after surgery by any means.

I've had 2 open surgeries as well as a spinal cord stimulator implant and removal, and these were done to HELP the sciatica I'd had for many years. Well, I still have the sciatica after 27 years. I've been to pain management and had done, every single thing they can do in pain management. So now no pain management doctor will take me anymore because they wont' manage medications -- my GP has to do that. I'm now on a combo of medications to treat the pain and I'll be on that from now on.

I am MORTIFIED that you had that many nerve blocks and RF procedures since they didn't work in the first place. The general rule is if the FIRST one doesn't work, DON'T do any others!! But the doctors get paid BIG BUCKS for doing the nerve blocks & RF procedures, so I'm not surprised. It's just that these medications in the nerve blocks aren't that healthy for us.

I know how you feel about wishing you'd never had it done. I feel the same way. But -- we did, and here we are. In your case, DO NOT LET them do any more nerve blocks!! Just plain refuse! And since the nerve blocks didn't work, I doubt that any epidural would work (maybe that's the same thing?) so dont' have that done either! The steroids are NOT good for us. It's bad for the bones among other things. And of course, don't have any more RF procedures. You might try the spinal cord stimulator. That can be very effective for sciatica!!!

Best of luck and God bless. Take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sonup2sondown4 (12-29-2012)