Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart hey Steve... i get it... i've been sick with anxiety lately

Dear Steve

((( hugs )))

i have been battling with similar issues myself. i'm outside the US as you may recall, but crazy things have happened here, and it's been for some time now. It has brought on a feeling of oppression in me and I feel paralyzed by anxiety about certain things. I may be verging on paranoia, but it's hard to say if it's me or ... ? perhaps you know what i mean.

My parents have become political addicts so i am inundated with news and their loud and repetitive discussions about things... I can't get away. i use earplugs sometimes but they are even louder than that.

sigh. will keep you in my thoughts. you do well to limit exposure. try to find things that you enjoy, and that bring you peace. if it isn't too cold, or if you don't mind dressing warm, try to get outside and look at nature.

or you can do the five senses exercise. you can do it anywhere. focus on each sense, one at a time. notice what you perceive through that particular sense, and soak in the experience, actively thinking about each of the perceptions as you experience them. move through different things. do this for each of the five senses. let the sensations guide your thoughts and occupy your mind.

the only thing i've ever found to chase away obsessive thoughts is finding something else that will absorb my attention. that five senses exercise can be a useful way to move your attention. There are lots of other ways of course. Some activities are insufficient to move the mind as we may give them a "background" thought process.

the negative approach - "do not think about X" i have not found helpful. this thought itself includes X - so it is logically ineffectual. In fact, I've found it can cause one to obsess about being obsessed... due to the distress of "not" thinking of X.

I really hope you feel better soon. i hope you can find good, wholesome distractions.

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (12-11-2012), Brokenfriend (12-11-2012), butterfly11 (12-11-2012), Dmom3005 (12-11-2012), Mari (12-11-2012)