View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I have discomfort but not pain and they are willing to operate

Thank you Onelessrib, I am glad to have opportunity to learn from your story
I just wonder if I don't have pain now at 6 mos, does that bode well for not having pain in a year or two or longer. I don't understand how I can have a problem so extensive that they are willing to operate on me, but yet I don't have very many symptoms. It varies from day-to-day, but compared with what I see most people with TOS posting, I can't even call what I have pain.

Odd sensations and discomfort, sometimes. So I'm thinking, how is surgery justified in this case? Unless they think I'm going to be in way worse shape should my vein shut down? Does anyone know? It's a little frustrating because I can't find information on this. Virtually everyone posting online seems to have the pain that accompanies the neurogenic form of TOS.

It is uncomfortable for me to type for long periods, but once I get up and away from using a computer, I feel pretty okay. So all I know is they think I have venous TOS but they don't think it's the cause of the tingling in my arms and the other minor symptoms. Surgery just sounds like a really extreme solution at this point, for a problem that I can't even see the extent of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelessrib View Post
Yes you can live without surgery as I did for 45 years, I was in constant pain and discomfort all the time. On Oct 4th Dr Thompson removed my first rib, scalene muscles and did a vein implant to replace my occluded subclavian vein. The recovery was difficult but I feel much better now than before the surgery. I fully expect to be 100% within a year.

All I can say is surgery will be well worth it if your Dr has the same level of expertise that Dr Thompson in St Louis has, or have it done in St Louis.

Regis
starfish43 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote