View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb The Importance of the Abs

Several articles, especially PT-focused ones, mention core muscle strength as being critical for TOSers, and recently a post specifically mentioned the abs and how if they were weakened then I believe faulty posture would follow. Dr Annest told me several times post-op that I needed to strengthen my core muscles, which I take to mean my abs, sides (lats?), upper and lower back, and maybe glutes (butt). Please let me know if I am leaving something out.

The problem is, I don't know HOW I am supposed to go about strengthening these muscles, as ANY strenghtening work flares me badly, and by that I mean puts me in bed for two days to sleep through the pain as best I can.
My RSD makes it difficult to be touched, or to touch some items, depending on texture; I always perceive metal as cold and burning. And I can't put any pressure or weight on my hands, especially the right one. Swim therapy was good while the ins. co. paid for it, but that was more aerobic than strengthening, except perhaps for my legs.

My point of this post however is this: if weak abdominals are so key in the onset of the poor posture which often is seen in TOS, then NO WONDER this condition strikes predominantly females in their mid-30's to mid-50's, barring those born with it. Women who have given birth, especially more than once or by c-section, are likely to have weak abdominals, and to have less time to work out or take part in sports to keep in shape than males as they age. Even those who don't have children have the constant forward and downward pull of their breasts, which can make a more comfortable forward slump an unconscious habit. This is why weight becomes such an issue, I think.

Now add a c-rib, abnormal scalene attachments, repetitive, non-ergonomic job conditions or a traumatic accident to the brachial plexus/neck area--

This isn't scientific in any way but seems pretty obvious once looked at logically. The men affected by TOS who currently post or have previously posted on this or other versions of our TOS board have usually related their TOS to their work - either overhead or heavy lifting, often both.

Of course, several predisposing factors apply to either gender - slight build, short (therefore have to reach above head frequently), long neck, repetitive tasks, heavy keyboarding/mousing, static positions/head forward - I know there's more but can't think - past bedtime I guess!

Any thoughts, comments, additional factors? Let's kick this around a bit!

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote