Thread: mg and exercise
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Mary, Ditto on the exercise. You can do it but it should really be an informed decision made with you, your neurologist and possibly a referral to a physical therapist for suggestions on how to proceed.

You might need some initial help with a plan. Don't be discouraged! First, you have to be okay with who you are right now. And then anything after that is progress. Don't beat yourself up! It doesn't do you any good.

There are simple dietary things you can do but I think you might want to talk to a dietician about it. What is good for one person may not be for another.

Remember that anything too repetitive or sustained can make MG worse. It's a good idea to alternate muscle groups while doing any exercise plan or exercising for smaller amounts of time.

It's also important to not get too heated up, since any increase in body heat can make MG worse. A fan is great to have around to keep you from getting too hot.

I'm sorry you had pneumonia. It can really make MG worse. Have you seen your neurologist since then? If not, that might be a good idea.

I'm overweight too. I do hate it. But I do what I can. I eat an organic, whole foods diet. I only drink water and one cup of coffee a day. I eat good carbs like quinoa and brown rice (I have celiac disease). I make sure I have plenty of fruits and veggies. I use good oils like olive oil. It's really about doing some research, getting some help and seeing what works for you. And it's about common sense. Like Mrs. D., Alice and I have all said, processed foods are not good for the body. I'd go one step further and say that genetically modified foods aren't either.

The most important thing is to not stress out about all of this! It's amazing to me how stress can make MG worse; even little bits of it. See some people/doctors to help you out and set yourself up for success! It's not going to happen overnight, so you might as well have FUN while you do it.

I hope you'll seek out people to help you with both the diet and exercise.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote