View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I believe that it is illegal to have a resident or something "help" when you have specifically stated you do not want them doing the surgery. I would agree completely, I would not allow someone to practice on me either. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Usually the helping actually is just observing, holding a light, closing up, and using you to point out anatomical structures and abnormalities. I don't mind someone checking out what's going on but I'm not keen on being a test subject!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftTOSer View Post
Here is my concerns for having tos surgery done at a teaching hospital.
One of the goals of a teaching hospital is to teach residents students and fellows. TOs surgery is very complex and a mistake can have devastating consequences. I requested at the times of my surgery not to have residents or fellows "help" to do the surgery because I didnt go all the way there to have someone practice on me. I am curious some of the bad outcomes I read here is related to the fact we were used as teaching subjects. Clearly when some of these MLB players have TOS surgery they go to nonteaching hospitals.
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (12-13-2012)