View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Blondie,
It's great to hear from you again, if you start taking vitamin B12 take 1000 mcg. once a day for adult dosage and 500 mcg. for teen dosage.
I've gotten the most help seeing a Epileptologist (Dr. specializing in epilepsy) I have found that this kind of Dr. if further a head in understanding epilepsy and the Dr. has had me on the least amount of meds since I've had the sz. I even was able to have brain surgery to help reduce my sz. a few yrs. ago.
Complex partial sz. can lead into tonic clonic (grand mal) sz. if you have a lot of them. I haven't had this type of sz. expect when I was put on the drug "neurontin" which caused me to have status sz. where I was out of it for 40 min. to 3 hrs. the drug co. making the drug was sued by many people because they found that the drug can cause sz. The best thing for you to do is to have a DNA test done this will show what sz. med will work the best for you with the least side effects. I will tell you that there have been many cases when the sz. stop I have a cousin who had grand mal sz. for yrs. and when she went through her change her sz. stopped.
If you notice that you feel tired in the morning after sleeping at night you may have a sleep disorder like sleep apnea and this can trigger sz. and be causing the epilepsy for you. When you see your Dr. tell them everything that you told me about how you feel when you go to bed and they might want to do a sleep study on you. I had one done but there was no sleep apnea or sleep disorders.
It is possible to have different types of sz. I have absence, complex partial and simple partial (aura) sz. If you start to notice a sz. beginning make your hands into tight fists and tighten up the muscles in your body for a few seconds this can sometimes stop the sz. My Dr. told me to do this back in the 1970's and it has stopped a lot of my sz.
You can get the book titled "The Epilepsy Diet Treatment" by Dr. John Freeman this explains the ketogenic diet which works great stopping or reducing sz. I've been on the diet on and off for a few yrs. and it has really helped me a lot. You may have to see a dietician to get you started on the diet. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote