View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart antibiotic and Upper Respiratory Infection

Hi Butterfly...

i wish i'd got my act together young enough to have become a doctor... lol.
not that my act is together now. lol. oh well.

i'm concerned about this URI you have. getting the chest clear often takes time especially as you started the mucinex late... but i am more concerned as to how long you've been on the antibiotic so far, and whether you been improving any, i.e. fever coming down, throat less sore, less fatigue???

===> when given antibiotics, net improvement can be expected within days.

if you did not experience this, please go back to the mdoc and tell them the antibiotic is not working. if they did not do a culture, ask for one. The purpose of this is so they can:
-- identify the attacking organism (very important in case of strep)
-- test the attacking organism with various antibiotics to check for resistant strains
-- select and prescribe a safe and effective antibiotic to which the organism has been shown NON-resistant.

to avoid cultures they sometimes will take a shortcut, and give a broad spectrum like a fluoroquinolone (eg: Cipro - ciprofloxacin, and others ending in "floxacin") ... but there are some issues with this approach, not least possible resistance from prior overuse (they were all the rage for a while and highly overprescribed).

SO (reminder) if antibio hasn't shown benefits yet, on the throat pain, fever, chills, and fatigue, go back to mdoc, throw a semipolite hissyfit and request a culture.

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (12-14-2012), Brokenfriend (12-14-2012), butterfly11 (12-14-2012), Dmom3005 (12-13-2012), katmae (12-14-2012)