Thread: Hi there!
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

kimik,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. You have found a good place for support and to meet others who have gone through the same experience.

From what you describe, it sounds like your neuro is the same one I saw some years ago. He had a head ache clinic and a propensity to try various meds to "See if this helps."

What you are experiencing is quite normal. Pain is about all a neuro can try to treat. It is likely that you also injured your upper neck. It can cause inflammation and muscle spasms that can magnify the Post Concussion Syndrome symptoms.

The medication is just to treat the pain symptoms or maybe some anxiety or depression that are common with PCS. There is no 'cure' medicine for PCS. You brain needs time to heal as much as it can. Even the prednisone is just a temporary treatment.

The only proven treatment is quiet rest and good nutrition. An over-stimulating environment and/or sleep struggles will magnify your struggles. For many of us, getting good sleep requires discipline. Quiet rest means minimal cognitive and physical stimulation. Quiet walks and simple music in a visually simple environment will be a big help and should be the limit of your activities.

You should also avoid caffeine, alcohol, MSG, artificial sweeteners, and high fructose corn syrup. Moderate amounts of natural sugar is OK. Stevia and monk fruit sweetener are also OK.

I have a "vitamin supplements" thread with my regimen that was prescribed to me by my doctor decades ago. The injured brain needs to purge the toxins from the injury before it can start its healing process. Proper quiet rest and good nutrition often takes up to 2 months to see improvements.

If you have tenderness against the bony areas behind your ears, you likely have injured your upper neck. Ice this area as often as possible. 15 minutes on, 30 minutes off for a few hours at a time. You can fill a zip lock baggy with 1 part isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and 3 parts water to make a flexible ice pack. Cover it with a dish towel to make it more comfortable.

Anytime your head aches, ice your upper neck.

It would help if you listed all the meds you are taking. Some may be counter to concussion recovery. Not all doctors understand these things.

A referral to a Physical Therapist who does myofacial release may help. Some chiropractors can help.

Tell us where you are and we may have some referrals for you.

And, try to relax. Anxiety about your current condition and your future is common but counter to helping your brain heal.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote