View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart I suspect that the 4.96 was bogus / lab error

Dear Butterfly

I think a doctor's life would like stress me out too much. I couldn't handle compsci... not sure I could do medical. At one time, I was more sure but it was not an option. we'll never know. I like to read though.

Thanks for the clarifications on timing of tests, and results etc. In light of your most recent post here's what I think regarding the TSH changes.

The first, simplest and most likely explanation is that the 4.96 value was a lab error. Typically the values must be transcribed by a human at least once, maybe more times. Suppose your ACTUAL result was 1.96. Considering that the 1 and the 4 are adjacent keys on a numeric keypad, it would be very easy to get 4.96 from 1.96. Furthermore, some folks handwrite 1's such that others confuse them as 4's. So a legibility is yet another possibility. 1.96 would be a very good match for the 1.86 reading obtained from the draw at the endo's 3 days later. Values normally do fluctuate a small amount, and methodologies/results vary between labs anyway, so i'd not expect an exact match. Now, if there were significant differences in the T4 and T3 also, then the error may have been that a sample got switched with someone else's during the testing or reporting process - occasionally happens). Here i have identified 3 distinct but possible lab errors that would explain this "crazy" value.

Second explanation (unlikely*) - TSH shot up temporarily due to your contraction of this clearly very bad infection ... immune system reactions can cause all sorts of things to go "out of whack" temporarily.

Third explanation (unlikely*) - Thyroid pathology may present with fluctuations in some cases, especially at onset of thyroid dysfunction.

Fourth explanation (unlikely*) - changes in foods and meds can affect thyroid hormone levels.

* the reason i say the other explanations are unlikely is because it typically takes a while for changes to occur. I can't be sure of this but 3 days seems like a ridiculously small amount of time for such a drastic change. When I was retested due to abnormal TSH i was told to wait at least 6 weeks.

You do well to keep your thyroid monitored given your dad's history. I think the endo should have called you to explain his choice, and allow you to ask questions. Now, while I don't think there's anything to worry about, you should have had opportunity to ask the doctor questions about the previous lab value. I think it is a good idea to see the internist, to get the benefit of a doctor's consultation on all this. Mention your dad's history to her also.

But until then, I would sit back, relax and have yourself one of those chocomintylicious drinks you wrote us about!

~ waves ~

p.s. I'm really glad to hear you're starting to feel better!!! great news!
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (12-14-2012), Brokenfriend (12-14-2012), Dmom3005 (12-14-2012), katmae (12-17-2012)