View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 09:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dealing with end-of-dose dyskinesia

Good evening,

in light of the obscene tragedy earlier today in Newtown, CT, I will try to be concise in asking for your help on the following issue--I only learnt of the existence of this forum this afternoon.

I am a 78 year old man, and was diagnosed with PD in 1997. I started taking Sinemet in 2010. My current dosage is two tablets of 25/100 three times a day. About three months ago I started having significant tremors and dyskinesia starting about 90 minutes after taking Sinemet and lasting for two to three hours. My initial thought was that these symptoms were/are triggered by the taking of Sinemet, but I now believe that they were/are end-of-dose reactions to the wearing off of Sinemet.

Dealing with end-of-dose dyskinesia is discussed at length in "The Parkinson's Handbook" by the late Dr. McGoon, a well-regarded Mayo surgeon. Putting it very simply, McGoon's schedule gives a more constant level of Sinemet which for five consecutive hours is not less than 70% of the total hourly doses as compared with two widely separated hours under my present regime.

I would be most grateful for any comments and suggestions as to how I should move from my present regime to the schedule discussed by Dr. McGoon, and in particular for the name of any doctor who is familiar with these issues.

With thanks and best wishes to anyone who has persevered to the end of this posting.

To quote eec "now is a ship--which captain am--sails out of sleep--steering for dream."

Albion
Albion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote