Thread: thymectomy...
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 11:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default thymectomy...

hello all,
my name is erica, im 29, diagnosed with mg in july this yr and seeking advice on thymectomy. i've done as much research as a person can on the internet, spoken with a surgeon, my neurologist says its my best option for a chance at full remission (eventually). i've been reading posts and i kinda feel a bit guilty..I have acute generalized mg, over the summer my eyes, legs and both arms were weak, but it mostly effects my right arm and eyes constantly.
i can't see straight past 3 ft in front of me and i can barely lift my arm to brush my hair or open a cabinet. i work in a hospital lab, in the microbiology department as well so i refused immunosuppressant therapy, and no steroids. reading up on those drugs-i just can't deal with any more drug side-effects i take meds for bipolar and fibromyalgia and muscle spasms. i take mestinon as well. it works,then stops working. i take 60 2x's in the morning and 4 more every 3 or 4 hrs after-6 total. when i'm feeling better i take less. then sometimes its out of control and mestinon does nothing at all. i did IVIG in november and the 3rd day got a massive brain/headache so my neurologist told me to stop. i noticed a difference, then decline and the talks about thymectomy came around. they scheduled me 2 wks later and i freaked out and cancelled. I cant live like this though, im a single mom, i work full time... is acute generalized a good candidate for the surgery? i wish i could talk with someone who's gone through it and knows if it's worth it. -conflicted
erkaderka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote