View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've been looking into this treatment extensively for my girlfriend. I referenced an article (and Mike gave the abstract) in the earlier post to which sallysue refers. The study looked very promising, but it was only conducted on those with acute CRPS. However, there are other studies that show benefit to those with chronic CRPS, although the benefit may not be as pronounced as with those who have had CRPS a shorter time.

I have noticed a dosing issue in the articles I've read as well. Better results tend to come from several higher doses administered intravenously within a short period of time. The best results came from the study mentioned above in which 100 mg of neridronate was administered 4 times over 4 to 10 days. The authors stated that the bioequivalent dose for those in countries where neridronate is not available (which seems to be everywhere outside of Italy from what I can tell) would be 90 mg of Pamidronate 4 times in the course of 4 to 10 days. I'd imagine that side effect profiles would be higher with this dosage, but none of the 82 patients in the study who all eventually got the treatment (the control group after a period of 40 days) experienced any major side effects. A year later, according to the study, none of these 82 patients were referring symptoms of CRPS (it is important to keep in mind that none of these patients had CRPS for longer than 4 months though).

Also, in regard to Zometa, I've been reading about this and Zometa is much much more powerful than any other bisphosphonate. As a result, infusions take a shorter time, but there is also some evidence linking Zometa to higher risks of side effects versus other bisphosphonates (but then again there is evidence linking Pamidronate, which is stronger than most bisphosphonates but weaker thant Zometa, to higher side effect risk than weaker bisphosphonates such as clondronate). In the end, these are all considerations you should bring up with your doctor if you pursue this option, but if you do keep us posted!

Thanks!
cja1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CRPStweet (12-16-2012)