View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help:

T11-12 - there's a mild disc bulge. There's also some narrowing and dessication. Dessication is drying out of the discs (degenerative disc disease)

L2 -3 There is a mild disc bulge, and also mild facet changes. The facets are the "wing-like" structures on each side of your spinal cord.

L3 - 4 There is Mild disc bulge and mild dessication. There are marrow changes likely related to degenerative disc disease. Mild facet changes bilaterally.

L4 - 5 Mild facet changes as noted.

L5 - S1 There is a disc bulge with superimposed protrusion. Mild facet changes bilaterally.

The pain you're describing is sciatica, and is no doubt caused by the L5-S1 disc herniation. I know how painful that is, as I've had sciatica for 27 YEARS. It's miserable. It would be a good idea to ask for a referral to a pain management doctor. Believe me, you want to avoid surgery at ALL COSTS unless you're in danger of spinal cord injury or permanent nerve damage, and i don't see any evidence of this but you need a 2nd opinion. I'M NOT A DOCTOR so get another doctor to look at these findings.

Surgery will NOT relieve pain. Surgery is only for mechanical problems. Most doctors don't tell their patients this. After surgery, usually you're left with the same pain or worse. Also there is the danger of the "domino effect." This is where the levels above or below the surgery fail, because they have to take on more of the load. So surgery begets more surgery. Latest studies have shown that people who have just had physical therapy have the same results as people who have had surgery!!! So stay as conservative as you can. Get a referral to pain management. They have lots of options for pain relief without having to do surgery. I wish I had known that, but my surgeries were long before the internet. LOL Best of luck and let us know what happens, okay? God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote