View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Tooth infection and ear issues

About 5-6 months ago, I experienced an agonising toothache while drinking cold water. This toothache continued intermittently for weeks and often it would feel like my entire jaw on the left side was aching. Being afraid of dentists, I put off visiting one and my toothache became more intermittent and 'manageable' so I tried my best to ignore it.

Several months later I began to experience bizarre ear symptoms. I would hear a loud rushing noise in my left ear, feel a little stuffy, and gradually developed feelings of pressure and soreness in the ear or jaw joint region. This also occurred intermittently and I visited an ENT who said my ears looked ok.

I eventually went to a dentist who took radiographs and showed me a long standing infection in a tooth on the upper jaw, a premolar next to the incisor. Not only was the tooth infected, on the xray it appeared that a region of bone above the tooth was also infected.

The dentist performed a root canal on the tooth and I have to go back for 2 more visits to complete the process. The 3rd visit will be for the crown or perm filling. I was not given any antibiotics.

I am now concerned if the infection in the bone will clear without antibiotics, I am still experiencing intermittent ear symptoms 3 days after the 1st root canal treatment. What would you advise me to do? Is it possible the infection has also spread to soft tissue parts and will that be visible on an xray?

Thank you, please help me...I am so confused with this.
Trex
Trex22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote