View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

A new challenge here at Bean Acres....we came back to the farm from our 2nd trip to Ohio and our "Buck" rabbit THUMPER was paralyzed in his hind quarters...the neighbors who were caring for the rabbits never knew what happened to him, he just wasn't moving one morning. He is healthy, eating , drinking ,and perky. I have him in a box in an unheated laundry room most of the time. As often as possible, I take him out in the yard and exercise him (picking up his waist and letting him walk with his front legs, massaging his spine and hips) I found letting him drag himself down the walkways of the greenhouse between the raised beds is great for him.We dumped the last bags of grass clippings there and it is soft for his tummy.
I am hoping that if it was a break in his spine of just a pinched nerve that perhaps he will heal and become more mobile again. We are trying to figure out a support cart (with wheels) to give him more freedom and exercise. He may become the "star" of the farm for all ages.
Things happen for a reason. Sometimes the reason is not very apparent right away. We all have handicaps and this little rabbit seems like an overcomer to me ...an animal that can bring encouragement , laughter and hope to a human with handicaps....perhaps that is his new purpose in life....not breeding. He has already sired 2 beautiful litters and fulfilled God's command to populate the earth..(12 adorable bunnies are here because of him) and they have already brought joy to the neighborhood...children and adults alike.
My first attempt at wheels for the rabbit was a failure. This morning I am checking the internet for possible plans someone else has constructed that works for hind leg paralysis.
Who knows...he might follow me around like a puppy...he feels more secure outside when I am near...noises frighten him for sure. Blessings!!!
Aunt Bean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote