View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I will post another side of it...from a child with a mom with MG.

My daughter is 15, I have MG for 14 years. You do the math....

She has seen me every single day of this journey. At age 4, she alerted me to the fact that I "needed to lie down" before I even knew something was really wrong. By the afternoon, I was being airlifted to a hospital in the city because of the risk of respiratory failure.

She has seen me at school activities, with crossed eyes and slurred speech. She has seen me drive with one eye covered, and not be able to drive her to certain things, especially after dark. She's grown up seeing me at the computer, with an IV every few weeks (IVIG). She has seen me go into the hospital for port stuff and finally, she saw me go through the reboot, the hairloss, the "sicker than I've ever been."

She's also seen the improvements. All this while she was going from baby to a young lady.

She's a teen now, and not without some scars from all of this. She seems to operate in a "assume the worst outcome" mentality about illness and hard times. She now tells me that she was scared that I was going to die when she was small. She noticed how other people reacted to me at school stuff, how they avoided me because they thought I was intoxicated. It all hurt.

Does she think I was a bad mom. No, not according to her. She knows that I will be for her NO MATTER WHAT....because I was, because I am. Still, she looks at life through different eyes than those of her peers. She does not have good memories of the MG, as is the same for me.

So yes, this is very likely affecting your children. I hope you will be in touch with your doctor, to discuss things that might help. I also hope that you can somehow find some help for around the house. I was never able to do that myself, and know how hard it is. In retrospect, though, I wish I'd tried harder to get help.

Try not to feel guilty, as this isn't your fault. Just keep trying your best, even if "your best" is having a movie-thon two days a week during the holidays. Explain to your kids at their level of understanding so they won't be scared. My daughter used to say "Stupid MG!" when I'd explain why I couldn't do something right then. She got it, she loves me...she knows MG and me are two different things.

Good luck.

ps--Just the fact that you're worrying about this proves you are a GREAT mom!
4-eyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (12-18-2012), Marin826 (01-01-2013)