View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello all,
I'm new to the site and the arthritis pain. I'm 22 and I broke my leg last summer.
I had the normal pain as the leg was healing and then it faded and all was good for a month or 2
Now I'm getting the arthritis creeping in
I dont know what to expect pain wise For me now it's not really bad just annoying, but it does slow me down a bit.
Anyone in the same boat? full of knowledge to impard upon me?

Dear Darwin:

My first question is: How was the arthritis diagnosed - by x-ray or mri?
Your Orthopedic Doctor would have been the one to diagnose you.
Second question: Did he/she say it was Osteoarthritis or an inflammatory type "RA"?

If it is Osteoarthritis, I feel your pain (Have A/C joint Osteoarthritis (RT) and starting in the LT) shoulder.

The Arthritis foundation has a wonderful website where you could find some useful information.

There are also tips like PRICE (Prevention, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation) and dietary tips.

For you at 22 excercise would be important - and if you talk to your doctor he or she may recommend the swimming pool.

Know your triggers, if walking aggravates the pain - slow down and take frequent breaks. If it is being stationary - move and stretch. Find out what helps best with your pain - for many heat is great - for others it is a combination of heat and ice - follow the rule of 10 on and 10 minutes off. There are Cox-2 medications that will also help. Believe it or not your doc may tell you that taking calcium may help slow down the degenerative process.

If you notice cold weather aggravates the pain - then wrapping the area with an ace bandage before going out would keep the area warm enough.

Using aspercreme and massage oils are a plus and help combat the muscle pain that accompanies the arthritis

Drink plenty of filtered water (8 glasses) and there are teas like Raspberry, chamomile and my personal favorite the tazo passion tea that help with relaxation.

I hope that your situation improves.

Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
v5118lKftfk (06-02-2014)