View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan068 View Post
Hi Erica,

Welcome to our little group.

I had a thymectomy but it was because of a tumour. Some of my MG symptoms were reduced almost immediately after the thymectomy, others took a while to show improvemnt. However, some symptoms continue to persist 4 years after.

When looking at a thymectomy for MG, you need to know that it is not a 100% cure. The question about if it is a good candidate doesn't come to what muscles are affected by the MG, it is what the Thymus is doing. If it is hyperplastic then there is a good chance the thymectomy will reduce your symptoms. There is also some evidence that there is a condition where the Thymus as a whole is not hyperplastic (CT scan doesn't show it as being hyperplastic) but enough thymus cells are that the thymectomy will help. From what I've read, it is also more successful if the patient is AchR positive .... but I've not read a lot that calls a distinction to which antibodies you're producing and success of the thymectomy.

Regarding your IVIG, I understand that the headache that comes with it can be helped by adjusting the speed that they do it... ask them to slow it down.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for and relief from your symptoms.

Cheers,

Brian

thank you brian! i am Achr positive, and the doc put me on for 2 days of IG instead of 4... today was my 2nd day and i can see straight and feel strength back in my arm a bit. i think i'd like to try the thymectomy. what have i got to lose!

erica
erkaderka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote