View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Rose:

We just came back from Alan's podiatrist visit. He's doing fine and healing. We are postponing his IVIG home infusion until the next week.

Rose, this is what you wrote: "Very often only time will tell. I wouldn't count on it, but it could happen, and I would certainly keep up the methylcobalamin just in case."

Now if this is true, what is the purpose of taking the B-12 methyl????JUST IN CASE???? I thought I had a shot here!!!! I really did.

And oddly enough, about two hourse ago, when Alan's podiatrist was examining his foot ulcer (this is not the regular podiatrist, he's on vacation, this is his partner, he's a very good doctor), well, I simply asked him "Can you give Alan a B-12 shot (now the other guy used to say "how about a complimentary B-12), and I would say "why not"?? Didn't happen all the time, but it did happen.

So when I asked this particular Doctor if he could give Alan a B-12 shot, he said to me "why would I do that, does he have a B-12 deficiency??" I said "not that I know of, but isn't B-12 methyl good for nerve repair and Alan has neuropahy".

This is his response:

"I don't believe any of this. B-12 shots are only for people who are B-12 deficient. There is not other purpose to give a B-12 injection. I am from the old school, and I studied under a man who knew all about this and I remember what he said and now I don't go for all this vitamin stuff, and B-12"

Since I had no idea how to respond I politely said "oh, okay, thanks anyway".
He wrapped up Alan (he did a great job on his foot and it's healing nicely) and we left.

But I can't forget what he said. He was absolutely adamant about B-12.

Now how different my appointment WAS THIS MORNING.

At 8:30 A.M. I arrived to get my blood tests at Dr. Fred's. The male nurse (who is also an ex army medic and is going to med school) well he does all the blood tests. As he sits me down I simply explained what I wanted and I also said "I want to know my b-12 level and my throid".

He said "no problem" and took all the vials. Then I asked him "what do you know bout Intrinsic factor?" and he replied: "oh, you need intrinsic factor and stomach acid for the B-12 to be absorbed in the body" I then asked Frank 'what do you know about the forms of B-12?" and he goes "oh you mean the cyano and the methyl?" and I said "yes" and he goes:

"well, the stuff in the stores is a waste because it is not absorbed, the stuff you SHOULD BE TAKING IS THE METHYL B-12. Everybody knows that"!!! I then asked him if he could give me a B-12 shot and he said "sure', but it's cyano" He showed me the little bottle. I asked him to see about getting in the methyl form. He knew all about Methyl and said "You're on the right stuff".

So a medical student, (25 years old) ex army medic, knows all about methyl b-12 and didn't pooh pooh it whatsoever.

And a podiatrist (in his 50's) who says he's from the old school said he doesn't go for this vitamin stuff and would never give AND DOESN'T BELIEVE IN GIVING B-12 shots. Makes one wonder now doesn't it???

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote