View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What rmschaver said! A nice concise list of good advice.

•I might add that when you are injured it is W/C's job to get you back to pre-injury status, or as close as possible (MMI). There is every chance you will end up living with pain and limitations. "Just fix it so I can go back to work" tends to work better with our cars than it does with our bodies.

•Once you have an attorney representing you, you most likely will be unable to discuss your claim with your adjuster. Keep in mind attorneys are often slower at returning your call than adjusters. As an adjuster for 13 years I couldn't tell you how many calls I got from claimants complaining that their attorney would not return their calls. That is not your adjuster's problem.

•Vocational counselors are there to find you employable doing anything . . . not something that pays what you had been earning. If you are lucky they will work with your employer to get you back to work at your old job, or another position that fits your new capabilities. If not, be prepared to be told you can do a number of jobs you would never consider doing in your lifetime.

•Your adjuster, nurse or voc may be really nice, but do not be fooled into thinking they are your friend. Many an injured worker got a rude awakening believing this to be true. Some CAN be very nice, and maybe even conscientiously decent, but who is paying their bill? Remember that formula!

•Keep in touch with everyone. After each physician visit call your adjuster and your employer with an update. It looks good, and documenting that you have been diligent never hurts.

•If you have an intervening illness unrelated to your injury, see your PCP. If you have to miss therapy, or treatments, or an office visit with your W/C A/P, it will help. Likewise, it is not unheard of that treatment of an illness might postpone treatment of our work injury, so you will want this documented.

•If you are injured in therapy report it to your A/P. Ask if it should be included now in your covered conditions.

•And yes, always be as polite as possible. And if for some reason your do lose your cool, apologize. It keeps your working relationship free of unnecessary tension.

•Often it feels like you are "doing all the work" on your claim. Get used to it. Get over it. No one else is going to do the things that fall to you as well, as diligently, with as much desire to see them done as you do.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (05-28-2014), j.rose (02-27-2015), rmschaver (12-20-2012)