View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 10:48 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Kamie! I work in radiology and do swallow studies from time to time (not so much now that I'm on nights, but did quite a few all the same). I work at a regular hospital, so we didn;t see to many kids. Adults and infants mostly, but I'm sure it will be the same type of thing. You are NPO (nothing by mouth) all night to make sure they will eat the next day. W/ infants, they give them a baby bottle of barium (a thick liquid that shows up on live x-ray) and they usually gulp it down cuz they are so hungry! The dr watches it pass through to see if there is any abnormalities, reflux, etc...With older patients, a therapist will feed them different textures, pudding, barium again, a pill to see how they do with this. Still watching for abnormalities. It's a pretty quick exam, if this is what it is!! Hope this helps!