View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
The anesthetics in the --caine family.... are sodium channel blocking agents. When they wear off, they may cause a rebound of pain, for a brief time. This is most noticeable when used for toothache relief or dental procedures.

The pain that returns often has a throbbing quality and seems worse for a short time. But typically that wears off.

There are neurological problems called channelopathies.

This link has a list of them with sodium included:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channelopathy

If you have a genetic error in this process, you most likely would have problems with drugs that affect certain ion channels.
This is pretty difficult to tag by doctors, so may go undiagnosed for a long time or forever in some patients.
hi MissD & Merry xmaz

Just an update on my whole lidocaine issue

While on an HMS / EDS forum ,someone mentioned Lidocaine can cause problems for people with an underlying tendency to have heart rate problems (which I guess includes people with arrhythmias secondary to autonomic problems ) to the extent even topical lidocaine can have cardiotoxic effects in susceptible individuals.

According to reports it mentions suppression of nitric oxide (NO) causes the toxicity of lidocaine to get worse .

see here

And while I havent been brave enough to test that theory out I have noticed that the glyceryl trinitrate ive been using has, had the interesting side effect of helping my EDS / HMS with some success instead.

Admittedly I havent noticed any effects on my neuropathy yet but it does mention it GT as also being used as course of treatment for diabetic diabetic neuropathy here , so perhaps it can helps some others here out after all ?

m
melon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote