View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I wish you great luck and hope the best for you. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Post the journal article if you can.
I can't find the article I read last night (of course) but I did find this which seems to be more helpful. I guess another word for the approach is infraclavicular but because he's doing it bilaterally it crosses the sternum calling it a transsternal.

"Infraclavicular First Rib Resection
The patient is positioned supine with a pad to elevate the scapula and shoulder, with the arm abducted. A muscle-splitting incision approximately 12 cm in length is carried through the pectoralis major muscle to expose the first rib below the clavicle, beginning medially at the costochondral junction. The periosteum is elevated subperiosteally from the rib, and the costochondral junction is removed piecemeal with the Leksell rongeur. The pleura can then be stripped from the posterior surface of the mobilized rib with careful blunt dissection. The rib is next retraced inward, and the neurovascular bundle traversing the costoclavicular space is palpated and retracted with the index finger. With the neurovascular structures thus constantly protected beneath the index finger and the pleura retracted, the rib with its periosteum is rongeured away, scraping off the insertions of the anterior and middle scalene muscles. Posterior to the neurovascular bundle, rib removal is accomplished by feel rather than under direct vision, but usually can be taken back to within 3 to 4 cm of the transverse process without excessive retraction of the neurovascular bundle; and in some asthenic patients, to within 1 to 2 cm of the transverse process. If a cervical rib is present,
it can also be trimmed through this approach. This incision can be extended slightly downward to the deltopectoral junction if the pectoralis minor tendon is to be divided. If a tear occurs in the pleura, it is closed around catheter suction with the lung inflated. The pectoral fascia, subcutaneous tissue, and skin are closed in layers. Bilateral rib resection can be done as a one-stage procedure by this technique."
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote