View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Beer and neuropathy is it bad?

...My ongoing debate about neuropathy and PN is with a new friend I met on the net recently. He's another person other than me, that has PN from antibiotic use although it's not the same antibiotic - I feel that there is a great similarity in treating it. I could be wrong.

Here is our argument. I feel that drinking beer or any alcohol is not a good idea for anyone with PN. In a nutshell, if you can't stop drinking entirely, you should limit your alchol use and when you do, make sure to lessen the load some by drinking a small amount of beer over a long amount of time...meaning stretch out your beer by drinking slow so that you do not drink more than you should.

I feel this buffers your body from too much alcohol while your body processes the drinks. Also drinking a lot of water, as well as eating a decent meal afterwards seem to help me.

After my PN I never drank enough beer to get a hangover and I never was a heavy drinker to begin with so I "Buzz" pretty fast anyway.

But, like me, sometimes it is difficult not to drink a few cans of beer (about 4 light Beers) every other weekend or so, especially during holidays and social events (the only time I drink.)

I only drink light beer which has a fairly low alcohol content in it. I don't drink more than a six pack (most times about 3/4 beers max) and if I do drink that week it's only for that one day of the week.

My friend believes that since his PN is not from alcoholic roots that he can drink more than that. I'm not saying this guy drinks a lot. He does not, and in fact, probably drinks not much more than me, about two days out of the week and around a six pack - still that is at least double the amount that I drink. I also avoid all hard liquor. While this guy will drink a shot of Vodka from time to time.

He says that for alcohol to affect nerves, even damaged nerves, you have to drink hard liquor, or an amount of beer much larger than a 6 pack - or drink a few every other day to affect your nerves.

I'm no expert, but I disagree with this. I think alchol can start irritating your nerves after just a few beers for most people. I often feel quite well with no flare-ups for days or weeks even after I drink 5 beers, but I rarely drink that much. Truthfully I simply don't know the answers to our debate.

As he says, peoples' tolerances for alcohol are all different and points out a diabetic friend of ours with PN that drinks over a 6-pack nearly every Saturday.

I often feel some peer-pressure to drink, mainly from depression when I'm at a social event -I want to feel that happy little buzz and join the party - but I'm very wary of how much and what I drink.

Personally, I feel anyone with PN shouldn't be drinking alchol at all, but I know this could be difficult for some, including me.

Does anybody here have similar feelings on these ideas? I hope I get some replies on this as I think this is one issue that many people often think about.

Jesse M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote